Shareholder FAQ


1. When is the next set of results being announced?

Our final results are usually announced in May and the interim results in November. View our financial calendar.

2. How do I get hold of a copy of the Annual Report?

You can either download a copy of the report or request a copy be mailed to you by contacting us.

3. What is the Company's registered address?

Great Portland Estates plc
33 Cavendish Square

UK Tel: +44 (0)20 7647 3000

The registered number of the Company is 596137.

4. Who is the Company's Registrar?

Equiniti Limited
Aspect House
Spencer Road
West Sussex
BN99 6DA

Tel: +44 (0)371 384 2030 (Lines are open 8.30am-5.30pm Monday to Friday).


5. On what stock exchanges are GPE shares traded?

Ordinary shares are listed on the London Stock Exchange (LSE: GPOR).

6. What is the stock/ticker symbol for GPE?

Our ticker symbol is GPE.

7. What is your official accounting currency?

We report all financial statements in British Pounds Sterling (£).

8. Where can I get a copy of your latest financial results?

You can either download a copy of the interim and annual reports or request a hard copy of the annual report to be mailed to you by contacting us.

9. When do you report your financial results?

Please see our financial calendar.

10. What is GPE's tax residence?

United Kingdom.

11. What are the UK tax implications of a sale of shares by non-UK resident shareholders?

Since 6 April 2019, non-UK resident shareholders are subject to UK tax on gains arising from the sale of shares in a property-rich company. A property-rich company is defined as a company that derives at least 75% of its gross asset value from UK land at the date of disposal of the shares. For the purposes of the rules, Great Portland Estates plc (GPE) is a property-rich company. Only gains accruing after 5 April 2019 are in charge.

Any UK tax charge is subject to possible double tax treaty relief or exemption depending on the status of the non-UK resident shareholder. Shareholders should seek their own advice to whether this applies to them.

For non-UK resident shareholders that are subject to tax on the gain, the gain will be calculated by deducting the base cost of the shares disposed of from the net sale proceeds.

For shares held on or before 5 April 2019, non-UK resident shareholders have the option of using a tax base cost of:

  • the value of the shares on 5 April 2019 (using the closing price of GPE shares on 5 April 2019 of £7.470 per share); or
  • electing to use actual cost (if that is higher).

For shares purchased after 5 April 2019, the tax base cost will be the actual cost.

Any gain realised by a non-UK resident shareholder that is an individual must generally be reported to HM Revenue & Customs within 30 days of the disposal and pay capital gains tax. Any gain realised by a non-UK resident company which is not subject to double tax treaty relief or exemption should register for corporation tax in the year of disposal and will need to file a corporation tax return and pay corporation tax.

Share Certificates

12. I have lost my share certificate. How do I get a new one?

Please contact the Registrar as soon as possible.

The Registrar will send you a letter of indemnity to complete. For shares worth more than £100 there will be a charge for this service and the indemnity will also need to be guaranteed. The Registrar will advise you fully on the indemnity process and applicable charges when you contact them.

If your certificate has been stolen, you will also need to give the Registrar the crime reference number issued to you by the police.

Once the Registrar receives your letter of indemnity, they may need to carry out security and anti-fraud checks. Once all checks have been completed a replacement share certificate will be sent to you.

13. Do I need a share certificate?

A share certificate in your name is evidence of your ownership of shares. However, with the development of electronic means of trading shares, most corporate investors no longer use share certificates and rely instead on secure systems for exchanging data with the Registrar and the London Stock Exchange. Some brokers now offer services which enable you to hold shares in electronic format without needing to have a share certificate. This means that in theory you can deal much faster because there is no need to supply certificates as evidence of ownership, but there is often a charge for this service.

14. I reported a lost share certificate but now I've found it. What do I do?

If you have already completed a letter of indemnity and sent it back to the Registrar, the original certificate is now invalid. You must send it back to the Registrar to be cancelled. If you have not yet returned it, please send the letter of indemnity back to the Registrar with a covering letter confirming that you have found the certificate and there is no need for a replacement to be issued.

15. What is a dividend?

A company that is making a profit often keeps a portion of its earnings to reinvest in the future of its business. The remaining profits will normally be given back to the owners of the company (its shareholders) as a dividend payment. The dividend is often paid in two or more instalments over the year. The initial payments are called 'interim dividends' and the remainder, paid as a 'final' dividend, is approved by the shareholders at the Annual General Meeting.

16. I've lost a dividend cheque. Can I have a new one?

Yes, please contact the Registrar and they will arrange for a replacement dividend cheque to be issued. There may be a fee payable for a replacement which the Registrar will advise you of when you contact them.

17. What does "ex-dividend" mean?

This is a description, sometimes abbreviated to 'xd' that is often quoted next to a share price. It means 'without dividend' and indicates that the next dividend payment is not included in the price of the share. This is necessary because the dividend is paid to all shareholders who were on the register at close of trading on a specified day. Any shareholder buying shares who is registered after this day will not receive the dividend. To compensate for this, the market price usually drops by the amount of the dividend payment and the description 'xd' is added to share price quotations to confirm that this has happened. To avoid confusion around this time, prices are sometimes quoted 'cum dividend' (meaning 'with dividend') which means that the buyer will be entitled to the next dividend payment and the share price has not been adjusted.

18. What are PIDs and non-PIDs?
19. How do I obtain historical share prices?

Historical share prices can be found in the share price section of this website, where we hold data going back five years. View historical share prices. If you require share prices going back more than ten years, you should contact your own broker. Alternatively, the London Stock Exchange can provide this information.

20. When are dividends usually paid?

Dividends are normally paid twice a year, in January and July.

21. Can I have dividends paid direct to my bank/building society account?

Yes, and receiving your dividend in this way offers the following advantages:

  • the dividend will go directly into your account on the payment date. Therefore, you do not have to wait for the cheque to clear;
  • it will ensure you receive your dividend, even if you have moved house and forgotten to notify the Registrar;
  • it avoids the risk of cheques being lost in the post or mislaid; and
  • it saves you the inconvenience of taking the cheque to your bank in person, having to queue and pay it in over the counter.

Visit and download a mandate form or register your details directly onto the register. You have to register in order to use this service, so you will need your Shareholder Reference which can be found on a recent tax voucher or on your share certificate. Alternatively you may also call the Registrar who will arrange for a mandate form to be posted to you. Completed mandate forms should be sent to the Registrar.

If you wish to receive the next dividend directly into your bank or building society account, you will need to ensure the mandate form is received by the Registrar before the record date.

22. Will I still get notification of dividend payments if they are paid direct into my bank account?

Yes, you will continue to receive a tax voucher in the post direct to your registered address.

23. My dividend cheque is out-of-date. What do I do?

A replacement dividend cheque will need to be issued. Please contact the Registrar and they will arrange this. There may be a fee payable for a replacement which the Registrar will advise you of when you contact them.

24. I have not received my dividend cheque. Who do I contact?

Please contact the Registrar as soon as possible.

25. I live abroad - can I receive dividends in my local currency?

You may be able to receive dividends in your local currency via the Registrar’s Overseas Payments Service. You can view details here

Alternatively, please contact our registrar Equiniti Limited on +44 (0) 371 384 2030. Lines are open 8.30am-5.30pm Monday to Friday (excluding English and Welsh public holidays).

26. Does GPE have a Dividend Re-investment Plan (DRIP)?

The DRIP allows holders of ordinary shares the opportunity to use their cash dividend to acquire additional shares in Great Portland Estates plc, which are bought in the market at competitive dealing costs. The DRIP is administered by Equiniti, our Registrars. Please visit for further information and to download the terms and conditions and the relevant form to join the DRIP.

Shares and Shareholding

27. What is my Shareholder Reference?

The Shareholder Reference (sometimes referred to as an SRN) is a unique 11 digit code that is shown on share certificates and tax vouchers and other communications from the Registrar. If you are unable to identify this number please contact the Registrar and they will arrange to send it to your registered address.

28. How do I transfer shares into another person's name?

To transfer your shares you need to complete a Stock Transfer Form, which can be downloaded from the Registrars website here or contact the Registrar.

29. Can I transfer shares to a child?

Whilst there is no reason why a minor cannot hold shares and receive dividends, it may be more difficult for them to sell or transfer shares until they are 18.

Shares can be held in an adult's name with the initials of a person under the full age of legal responsibility used as a 'designation'. The designation can be up to eight characters in length and creates a separate holding on the register of members. The designation will also appear on the share certificate after the shareholder name.  If you wish to add such a designation onto your shareholding then please contact the Registrar and they will advise you of the process.

30. How can I give shares to someone as a gift?

To transfer your shares you need to complete a Stock Transfer Form, which can be downloaded from the Registrars website here or contact the Registrar.

31. How do I buy or sell GPE shares?

Equiniti Limited offers a share dealing service which can be accessed online. For further information please visit or call +44 (0) 3456 037 037 (lines are open 8.00am – 4.30pm, Monday – Friday, excluding public holidays).

Alternatively, contact your bank or stock broker who will also be able to assist you in buying or selling your shares.

32. One of my relatives has just died and I have been named a beneficiary. What steps do I need to take to have the shares transferred into my name?

You should contact the Registrar as soon as possible. If the holding is in the sole name of the deceased, the Registrar will require:

  • Grant of Representation, being the original or sealed office copy of the Grant of Probate, the original or sealed office copy of the Letter of Administration or original Scottish Confirmation; and
  • the original share certificate.

If you do not have a Grant of Representation, the Registrar may be able to offer their Small Estates procedure. Please contact the Registrar for further information. 

If the holding is in joint names the Registrar will require:

  • the original or a certified copy of the death certificate; and
  • the share certificate for amendment.
33. How do I inform you of my change of address?

Please contact the Registrar to update your address on the register:

  • by telephone (you will be asked some security questions);
  • in writing
  • by downloading the Change of Address Form from the Registrars' website here or
  • registering the change on the shareholder portal (you will need to register to use the service and to do this you will need your Shareholder Reference which can be found on a recent tax voucher or on your share certificate).
34. Why do I receive multiple sets of information from you?

You may be receiving duplicate sets of company mailings because you have multiple shareholder accounts on the register of members. Multiple accounts may arise where you have acquired shares on more than one occasion and a new account has been created on the register where slightly different details have been supplied. There are situations where multiple accounts cannot be amalgamated, for example where you hold shares in your own name and also in joint names with your partner. To amalgamate your accounts, or to establish if they can be amalgamated, please contact the Registrar.

35. How do I check a shareholding?

You can contact the Registrar on the number below who will be able to confirm the shareholding after asking some security questions. Alternatively, you can view your shareholding online at the Registrars website located at You will need to register to use the service, and to do this you will need your Shareholder Reference which can be found on a recent tax voucher or on your share certificate.

Telephone: +44 (0)371 384 2030

Lines are open Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 5:30pm


36. I have recently changed my name. What should I do?

You will need to send your share certificate(s) to the Registrar accompanied by the relevant legal documentation depending on the circumstances. For change of name following a marriage this would be the marriage certificate, or following a divorce it would be the decree absolute and birth or marriage certificate to evidence maiden name. If you are unsure of what documentation you should be sending then please contact the Registrar. 

37. What entitlements do I have as a registered shareholder?

When you either buy shares or shares are transferred to you, you become a part owner of the company. The benefits of owning shares include:

  • Dividends - these are normally received twice a year, in January and July.
  • Annual General Meeting - each year you will be invited to attend and vote at the Annual General Meeting of the company.
  • Financial Information - View the annual reports available to download.
38. Is this a good time to buy or sell GPE shares?

Under the Financial Services Act, we are not authorised to provide advice to investors on share dealing. For advice on dealing, please contact your stockbroker or financial adviser.

39. How can I check today's share price?

The current share price can be viewed on our investors page.

40. Where can I get hold of the original price I paid for my shares?

Your contract note which was provided by the broker when purchasing the shares will have this information. Alternatively, the Stock Exchange can provide this information. Click here for current share price information.

41. I have a question about the tax on my shares and/or dividends - who do I speak to?

Please contact your financial adviser.

42. How do I donate my shares to charity?

If you hold a small number of shares, the value of which may make them uneconomical to sell, you can give them to charity through ShareGift, the charity share donation scheme. This is a registered charity (no.1052686) which accumulates small shareholdings, sells them and donates the proceeds to a wide range of different UK charities. The service is free (although there may be an indemnity fee if you have lost your share certificate). Giving shares to charity in this way does not give rise to any gain or loss for Capital Gains Tax purposes, and UK taxpayers may be able to claim income relief on the value of their donation.

For further information on ShareGift please visit or write to them at PO Box 72253, London SW1P 9LQ.

43. Can I consolidate my share certificates?

Yes, please contact the Registrar who will confirm what you should do to receive a consolidated certificate. There will be a charge for this service.

44. I'd like to change my bank mandate instructions, how do I do this?

Please contact the Registrar to change or register a dividend mandate: 

  • by telephone;
  • in writing to the address below;
  • download a Dividend Mandate Form and send it to the address below; or
  • by registering the change on the shareholder portal (You will need to register to use the service, and to do this you will need your Shareholder Reference which can be found on a recent tax voucher or on your share certificate).

Equiniti Limited
Aspect House
Spencer Road
West Sussex
BN99 6DA

Tel: +44 (0)371 384 2030 (Lines are open 8.30am-5.30pm Monday to Friday).


General Meetings

45. What is the Annual General Meeting?

A public limited company is required to hold an Annual General Meeting, or AGM of shareholders at which decisions are taken on the company's business. The 'ordinary' business of the AGM is repeated every year and includes accepting the company's accounts for the year and fixing the proportion of profits that will be paid back to shareholders as a dividend. The company directors often take this opportunity to put forward other business requiring the approval of shareholders e.g. renewal of a share plan.

Our directors are available for half an hour before the AGM to meet with shareholders and answer questions.

46. If I cannot attend the Annual General Meeting, can I still vote?

If you cannot go to the meeting yourself, you can appoint someone else to go in your place as your proxy. To do this, you must complete the proxy card that is sent to you with the notice of meeting and send it back to us in advance of the meeting.

You can also, if you wish, appoint more than one proxy provided that each proxy is appointed to exercise the rights attached to a different share or shares held by you. If a poll is taken on a resolution, your proxy can cast your vote for you and speak on your behalf.

If you cannot appoint a proxy to attend the meeting in person, you can still send the proxy form back to us and in the event of a poll on any resolution, the Chairman will cast your vote for you in line with the instructions you give on the form.

47. How can I find out what happened at the AGM?

Register Fraud

48. What form can share register fraud take?

There are several ways a fraudster may attempt to access your assets, including identity theft and so called 'Boiler Room' scams. With identity theft, the fraudster will contact the Registrar and request that your address be changed. They will then advise that the share certificate is missing and seek to obtain a replacement certificate. The Registrar has robust procedures in place and any change of address will be notified to you. Additional security procedures are also in place where an indemnity for lost share certificate is requested.

With a Boiler Room scam, shareholders are typically contacted by phone by somebody suggesting a huge return on any sale or purchase of shares. If it sounds 'too good to be true', then it probably is. Shareholders should exercise caution when receiving unsolicited calls and should never disclose their personal details. If you receive any unsolicited investment advice, ensure that you obtain the correct name of the person and organisation and make a record of any other information they give you, such as a telephone number or address, and report the matter to the Financial Service Authority on 0845 606 1234.

49. What should I look out for?

Be alert to any unsolicited phone calls or correspondence concerning investment matters which imply a connection with GPE.

Any unsolicited call suggesting a far higher return than would be obtained from dealing in our shares directly with your bank or stockbroker should be treated cautiously. Investors should only deal with firms authorised by the UK Financial Services Authority.

If you receive a letter from the Registrar advising that a change of address, mandate or transfer of shares has been recorded and you have not authorised such a change, you should contact the Registrar immediately. 

50. How can I protect my shares from potential fraud?

Here are a few simple tips which can help protect your shares:

  • ensure all your certificates are kept in a safe place or hold your shares electronically in CREST via a nominee;
  • keep all correspondence from Equiniti Limited in a safe place, or destroy correspondence by shredding;
  • if you change address, inform Equiniti Limited in writing or via the Shareview Portal at If you receive a letter from Equiniti Limited regarding a change of address but have not recently moved, then please contact them immediately;
  • consider having your dividend paid directly into your bank. This will reduce the risk of the cheque being intercepted or lost in the post. If you change your bank account, inform Equiniti Limited of the details. You can do this by post or online via the Shareview Portal at;
  • if you are buying or selling shares, only deal with brokers registered in your country or residence or the UK;
  • be wary of phone calls or emails purporting to come from GPE or Equiniti Limited which ask you to confirm personal details or details of your shares. neither GPE or Equiniti Limited will ever ask you to provide information in this way; and
  • respond to any letters Equiniti Limited sends you.